201 Strykers Road, Suite# 19-322 • Phillipsburg, NJ 08865 • Kris@DiehlsJewelers.com
|Home Mailing Address Store Hours Contact|
The Diehl’s Jewelers story begins in the early 20th century, when our great grandfather opened up Samuel L. Diehl Jewelers & Opticians in Pen Argyl, PA.
One of his sons, Robert W. Diehl, became a watchmaker. He opened Diehl’s Jewelers in Somerville, NJ in 1940. Robert and his wife, Eleanor Diehl, decided to open a second store in Bernardsville, NJ in 1946. Back then they had to buy an existing business to get into town, so they bought out the dry cleaner in town and became Diehl’s Jewelers and Dry Cleaners, located at 20 Olcott Square.
Eleanor operated the store with her friend Albert LaCoste. They spent many years serving the community as the only jeweler and only dry cleaner in town. Robert closed his store in 1948 and went on to found The Ticker Shop in Cranford. He also worked for other jewelers, like Frost Jewelers in Irvington.
Diehl’s Jewelers dropped the dry cleaning and moved to 30 Olcott Square in 1960. Eleanor was known for her personalized service, redesigning skills and her repertoire of dirty jokes.
In 1987 Eleanor and Al were ready to retire. They asked Eleanor’s daughter, Nora Diehl Schmid, if she wanted to buy the business. She asked her son, Kris, if he was interested. Al and Eleanor were going to stay on through 1988. Unfortunately, Eleanor passed away in late 1987. At the end of 1987 Nora, her husband Bob, Kris and his fiancee Kelly Coles took over the store.
201 Strykers Road, Suite# 19-322 • Phillipsburg, NJ 08865
Copyright © 2005 - 2017 Diehl's Jewelers.